Skip to main content

Beautiful Boy - Gorgeous or just Pretty

I have stated before that drama is simply not my favourite genre of movie. However, I do find myself watching more and more of these movies as I grow ever older in life. Beautiful Boy is a movie about drug addiction and how it affects a family, specifically in this case a father and son. Though I won't be rating this film as high as many other film-critics have, it was a good movie overall.

Being a father myself, I was easily drawn into Steve Carell's (the father's) shoes as to how I might react if one of my children were quite literally throwing away their life. The family moments were very touching and I loved Steve's performance. I was curious to see how he would do in a serious film as I've really only seen him in comedies. He absolutely nailed the role.

The film has some issues for me though. My first real problem was the way Timothée Chalamet's character Nick (the son) seemed to only have his addictions while he lived with his father. He moves in with his mother at a point in the movie, and with little effort shown on screen, becomes drug-free for 14 months! There were a lot of parts in this movie that felt rushed through, or like a piece of the scene was left on the editing floor. The movie really struggled to tell me why Nick turned to drugs in the first place, and why he continued to use them. I'm sure there was a reason, but the movie never really comes out and tells or shows you.

One other small criticism I had was the timeline. The beginning of the movie jumps all over the place with Nick's age; 1 shot he'll be 8, then the next shot he's 16, then we're up-to-date the next, then he's 11. Simple all over. I think simple subtitles like "5 years ago" would have fixed it for me at least because the scenes themselves were very well shot and acted. It was very hard to follow during the first quarter of the movie.

For how sensitive of a subject drug addiction is, I felt that the movie, for the most part, was fair in how the drug users were portrayed. These weren't dark shady characters always hanging out on a street corner; they seemed like real people, with I'm sure, real issues. Although the hallmark moments were very effective, I continually felt like the movie was missing something. I still can't put my finger on it. I seemed to begin to tear up during a scene, and then it would end. As absurd as it sounds, I never got the full cry, which left me wondering what I missed, or did I miss something.

Overall, it was worth seeing the movie, but I'd be lying if I said that I was totally satisfied with what I watched.

Overall score: 6 out of 10 stars

Pros:
- Family crisis moments seemed real
- Steve Carell was fantastic
- The family dynamics were very well done

Cons:
- The time jumps without letting the viewer know where you are
- Some scenes seemed cut off
- Some inconsistency with Nick's character

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Destination: Bloodlines – A Bloody Fun Return to Form

I’m a big fan of the Final Destination series, so I was honestly surprised to hear that another installment was in the works. Part 5 wrapped things up in such a neat little bow that it felt like the story had come full circle. So when Bloodlines was announced, I was hesitantly optimistic. Could they recapture the magic (and mayhem) of the originals without running the whole thing into the ground? I’m glad to report—it was worth the price of admission. Image by Pacific Science Center Not Shakespeare, But It’ll Do Let’s just be clear up front: this is not some masterpiece of screenwriting. The plot is about as flimsy as ever, and no one here is giving an Oscar-caliber performance. But let’s be real—if you’re showing up to a Final Destination movie expecting award-winning drama, you’ve already wandered into the wrong theater. That said, the writing didn’t make me want to claw my ears off either, which is more than I can say for a lot of recent horror flicks. It was… fine. Image by The...

Speak No Evil (2024): A Missed Opportunity Wrapped in Predictability

The prospect of Speak No Evil (2024) intrigued me from the get-go. It’s a chilling thought: meeting strangers who could turn out to be sadistic killers—an everyday occurrence with terrifying possibilities. The potential for genuine thrills was there, but unfortunately, the film didn’t deliver the suspense it promised. Image by IMDb Something’s Just... Off I can’t quite put my finger on what was "wrong" with this movie, but there’s definitely something missing. Speak No Evil takes its sweet time introducing us to the characters and setting up the plot. It’s like the film was determined to make sure we were well-acquainted with everyone before anything remotely exciting happened. It’s not inherently bad to build up your characters, but when you’re an hour into a thriller, and nothing thrilling has happened, there's a problem. Image by CBR James McAvoy: The Misfire Performance I usually consider James McAvoy a standout star, but in this film, he just didn’t land for me. In...

The Monkey (2025): Don't March to This Drum

I had no idea what I was getting into with The Monkey. I went in more or less blind, but given that it was based on a Stephen King story, I had some hope. With the success of It and even the more mediocre Pet Sematary remake, I figured this could be another solid King adaptation. Man, was I ever misguided. Image by IMDb Aesthetic Confusion: What Year Is It? Right away, something felt off. The film starts in 1999—or at least that’s what it claims—but absolutely nothing in the children’s room or the general set design reflects that era. No Blockbuster VHS tapes, no Nirvana posters, no era-appropriate TV shows, not even the right music. Instead, it all feels straight out of the 80s. Then we meet the boys’ Aunt and Uncle, and we’re suddenly in That 70’s Show . The uncle even has the classic 70’s sideburns. The entire aesthetic is a bizarre mishmash of decades, making it feel like the filmmakers didn’t actually care about immersing the audience in the supposed time period. Image by Th...