Skip to main content

The Odyssey – Lost at Sea with a Hollywood Compass

I walked into the theater clinging to the memory of what a Christopher Nolan picture used to be. The murmurs surrounding The Odyssey were fractured, but I bought my ticket banking on the director's track record for boundary-pushing spectacle. I expected the intricate craftsmanship that defined his prime. Instead, as the credits rolled, I was staring at a screen that had just projected two hours of a director surrendering his signature vision to the Hollywood assembly line, trading his artistry for a painfully generic studio mandate.

Image by The Cornell Daily Sun

A Mediterranean Coat of Paint

A Greek mythology epic needs to breathe the dust of the Aegean, but this simply doesn’t. When you watch Clash of the Guardians, Troy, or even Hercules (to a lesser extent, I suppose), they ground you in the bronze and dirt of antiquity; you feel like they belong in the era. The Odyssey, however, completely lacks that localized heartbeat. It operates like a standard, modern action flick that just happens to be wearing a toga. There is no distinct voice echoing from Mount Olympus here, just the hollow resonance of a generic Greek mythology movie.

Image by The New Yorker

Painfully Modern

The script is, my god, the largest offender of the generic feel. The dialogue is littered with casual exclamations of "Dad," "Mom," "God damn it," and a jarringly placed "Fuck." It yanks you violently out of the era they are so desperately trying to place you in. This isn't Romeo and Juliet in New York; that was a deliberate spin on a classic story mixing it with today's culture and ideals. Nolan's film aims for historical authenticity and fails stupendously. A grounded approach demands "Mother," "Father," or at least a culturally accurate "The Gods damn it," and certainly no swearing. And yes, before the comment section destroys me, I am very aware they wouldn't actually speak English in the first place. We need a common language for an audience to understand the movie, but we don't need them talking like they just made a Tik Tok video.

Image by The Action Elite

A Journey to Nowhere

For a story literally synonymous with epic adventure, there is a disturbing lack of it. The film teases mythological beasts, but refuses to fully unleash them. I will concede this: the Cyclops is easily the best rendition I have ever seen. The anatomical design actually justifies why the creature possesses a single eye, and it is very well done. But the goodwill stops there. Shortly after, the crew encounters some tentacle monster that snacks on a few soldiers and then simply leaves, apparently deciding it's full. The fabled Sirens are technically present, but they are shown from fifty miles away and do virtually nothing. I bought a ticket hoping to see massive battles against legendary creatures or even the Gods, and I was handed a series of brief, apathetic cameos.

Image by ScreenRant

Walking the Wrong Way Home

The finale—which is easily the best part altogether—is clearly engineered to make you feel a profound sense of accomplishment, finality, and joyous relief. They simply miss the mark. The driving premise of the plot is our protagonist’s desperate crawl back home from the Troy War, except he really isn't. Throughout the journey, he consistently makes choices that actively get him further away from his destination. We are supposed to watch him falling apart missing his family, yet he makes decisions to go in the exact opposite direction. When given a clear opportunity to leave, he instead continues forward for absolutely no reason. He never seems to be in any rush to get back home, so as a viewer, you don't feel there is any reason to care when he finally crosses the threshold.

Image by MovieWeb

A Constellation of Wasted Talent

The casting sheet reads like a studio executive picking names based on "Star Power" rather than securing the right person for the job. I actually like all of these actors, but they simply weren't necessary here. Matt Damon does a good job portraying the character he was given; it's a tragic shame the character was written so poorly. Tom Holland might as well not have been in the movie. He wanders in for a grand total of five minutes of screen time, filling a role that could have been played by absolutely anyone. The same goes for Zendaya. She unfortunately doesn't bring much to the table because there isn't much to the role itself—she basically stares at Damon for every shot she's in. Charlize Theron’s immense talent is utterly wasted on a minuscule part that requires zero acting ability, sitting far below her paygrade. Robert Pattinson is the sole outlier who genuinely fits his assignment. He tries desperately to make his character feel evil, sometimes so intensely that you can tell he actively disagrees with what the script is telling him to do.

Image by Reel Reviews

Final Thoughts

All in all, it was a hamburger. It was cooked to a generic temperature, featuring the bland toppings you expect on a white bun. It likely still tastes fine, but there is absolutely nothing new to clamber over. Nolan's descent into antiquity trades his visionary spark for a pedestrian studio formula, leaving audiences stranded at sea with a crew that forgot why they set sail in the first place.

Pros:
✅ The Cyclops design is brilliant and functionally logical.
✅ Robert Pattinson puts up a commendable fight to elevate his villainous role.
✅ Matt Damon does his best with the severely limited material he's handed, and the finale itself is adequately staged.

Cons:
❌ Modern profanity and colloquialisms shatter any illusion of the era.
❌ The protagonist's contradictory decisions completely undermine the stakes of returning home.
❌ A disturbing lack of engaging mythological action or encounters.
❌ Wasted A-list talent (Holland, Zendaya, Theron) relegated to pointless background presence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Destination: Bloodlines – A Bloody Fun Return to Form

I’m a big fan of the Final Destination series, so I was honestly surprised to hear that another installment was in the works. Part 5 wrapped things up in such a neat little bow that it felt like the story had come full circle. So when Bloodlines was announced, I was hesitantly optimistic. Could they recapture the magic (and mayhem) of the originals without running the whole thing into the ground? I’m glad to report—it was worth the price of admission. Image by Pacific Science Center Not Shakespeare, But It’ll Do Let’s just be clear up front: this is not some masterpiece of screenwriting. The plot is about as flimsy as ever, and no one here is giving an Oscar-caliber performance. But let’s be real—if you’re showing up to a Final Destination movie expecting award-winning drama, you’ve already wandered into the wrong theater. That said, the writing didn’t make me want to claw my ears off either, which is more than I can say for a lot of recent horror flicks. It was… fine. Image by The...

The Monkey (2025): Don't March to This Drum

I had no idea what I was getting into with The Monkey. I went in more or less blind, but given that it was based on a Stephen King story, I had some hope. With the success of It and even the more mediocre Pet Sematary remake, I figured this could be another solid King adaptation. Man, was I ever misguided. Image by IMDb Aesthetic Confusion: What Year Is It? Right away, something felt off. The film starts in 1999—or at least that’s what it claims—but absolutely nothing in the children’s room or the general set design reflects that era. No Blockbuster VHS tapes, no Nirvana posters, no era-appropriate TV shows, not even the right music. Instead, it all feels straight out of the 80s. Then we meet the boys’ Aunt and Uncle, and we’re suddenly in That 70’s Show . The uncle even has the classic 70’s sideburns. The entire aesthetic is a bizarre mishmash of decades, making it feel like the filmmakers didn’t actually care about immersing the audience in the supposed time period. Image by Th...

The Black Phone 2 – The Sequel That Answers Some Calls and Mutes Others

I went into this having been burned by a million horror franchises that mistake "sequel" for "apology tour." After a first movie that left me genuinely wishy-washy, I braced myself for a film that would either lean too hard into explaining the mystery or, worse, just be a paint-by-numbers rehash. I had little choice but to expect the worst: a cash-grab that neutered the menace for a wider audience. Instead, what arrived was a picture that was—and this is the only way to put it—kinda' hard to rate, pivoting from genuinely striking atmosphere to curiously muted menace in a way that kept me leaning in, if only to figure out what it was trying to be. Image by encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com Answering the Call Let’s start with the stuff that worked. The atmosphere the film conjures is genuinely excellent. There's a brilliant, palpable isolation to the camp setting that brings to mind the heavy dread of something like The Shining. You feel the remoteness, and the filmm...